[Eeglablist] continuous or epoched data for fourier transform

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 2 10:27:22 PDT 2009

Dear Andrea,

There is nothing wrong with analysing power in continuous data :-).
In any case, if you use the pwelch method (i.e. the standard EEGLAB
plotting function), FFT is applied on "data epochs" extracted from the
data, and the power value on each of the window is averaged. This is a
standard way of reducing noise when computing FFT (and power) on
continuous (or epoched) data.

Arno