[Eeglablist] Simple intro to ERSP

Dorothy Bishop Dorothy.Bishop at psy.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 3 01:54:08 PDT 2010

To try and ensure I understand time-frequency analysis, I am writing a simplified introduction that assumes little background knowledge.
I have adopted the approach of using simplified simulated signals to allow users to explore what happens with different command parameters.
A draft, just covering aspects of ERSP can be found on http://bishoptechbits.blogspot.com/

I hope it might be useful to others, but it is a case of the blind leading the blind, and there may be errors in it.
Comments and corrections would be very welcome - I'd be especially grateful if someone knowledgeable would look at it and let me know if I've got things wrong.

PS
One reason I did this was because I wanted to compare results on ERSP in a mismatch paradigm when you
a) subtracted condition 1 from condition 2 and then did ERSP on the difference waveform
vs
b) Did ERSP on condition 1 and condition 2, and subtracted the resulting ERSPs.

My simulations suggest (a) is more sensitive, but I'd be interested in other views on this.

Dorothy Bishop
Professor of Developmental Neuropsychology
Department of Experimental Psychology
University of Oxford
OX1 3UD
Website: http://psyweb.psy.ox.ac.uk/oscci/