[Eeglablist] Different baseline correction for different types of event?

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Sat Jul 3 10:24:40 PDT 2010

Hi Chris,

I do not know of a way to apply a condition specific baseline
correction in a single command. I have performed a similar
manipulation by segmenting the data into to two files and then
appending them together into a single file using "pop_mergeset". Then
continue further processing on the single appended dataset.

If your data is already segmented into a single file (baseline
corrected to -200ms to 0ms) and you would like to change the baseline
period of your "chx","cix" condition type epochs to -1600ms to
-1400ms, a script like the following should work:

% Create a vector of baseline times plus zero point (ms) and convert
it to data point indices...
ms_vals=[-1800,-1600,0];
pnt_vals=round(ms_vals/(1000/EEG.srate)-((EEG.xmin*1000)/(1000/EEG.srate)-1));

% Obtain indices for epochs of the condition type to be changed...
j=0;
for i=1:length(EEG.event);
     trial=EEG.event(i).epoch;
     if
(strcmp(EEG.event(i).type,'chx')||strcmp(EEG.event(i).type,'cix'))&& ...
             EEG.event(i).latency==pnt_vals(3)+EEG.pnts*(trial-1);
         j=j+1;ind(j)=trial;
     end
end

% Calculate baseline values for the epochs of the condition type to be
changed...
bl=mean(EEG.data(:,pnt_vals(1):pnt_vals(2),ind),2);

% Subtract baseline values from the epochs of the condition type to be
changed...
for i=1:EEG.nbchan;
     for j=1:EEG.pnts;
         EEG.data(i,j,ind)=EEG.data(i,j,ind)-bl(i,1,:);
     end
end

James Desjardins
Technician, MA Student
Department of Psychology, Behavioural Neuroscience
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab
Brock University
St. Catharines, ON, Canada