[Eeglablist] channel location file

David Groppe dgroppe at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 25 22:43:41 PDT 2010

Hi Michael & Lazlo,
    Because there are more EEG sources than EEG sensors, it is
impossible for ICA (or any other linear spatial filter) to perfectly
filter out EEG artifacts.  Thus just using ICA to correct for
artifacts will distort the data to some extent.  See the following for
the explanation:

Groppe, D.M., Makeig, S., &  Kutas, M. (2008) Independent component
analysis of event-related potentials. Cognitive Science Online, 6.1,
pp. 1-44. http://cogsci-online.ucsd.edu/6/6-1.pdf

That being said, the amount of distortion may be negligible.  The most
careful study of this I know of is a recent paper by Mognon et al. in
Psychophysiology:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2010.01061.x/abstract

They found that the distortion caused by ICA artifact correction
ranged from around 75% to 25% the magnitude of the ERP components of
interest.  Personally, I've used ICA artifact correction for several
years and have found that my main ERP effects of interest (e.g., N170,
P300, N400, P600, auditory N1) look and behave as they should.  I
would be a bit nervous though about using any type of artifact
correction to study frontal ERPs unless the components were rather
robust (like the auditory N1's projection to frontal channels).
    hope this helps,
       -David

David M. Groppe, Ph.D.
Department of Cognitive Science, 0515