[Eeglablist] Question about average reference

Alan Yi jackm_ustc at yahoo.com.cn
Fri Mar 4 13:32:52 PST 2011

Hi experts,

I am running a pilot experiment in which I only use 16 electrodes of a 64-channel cap. There is not any reference electrode on the cap, so I have to re-reference in EEGLAB. Should I just re-reference to the average of the 16 electrodes? Will this generate any problems on the result? After all, the 16 electrodes are mainly at the posterior of the head. And the paper that previously is suggested, Spherical Splines and Average Referencing in ScalpElectroencephalography, mentioned that 19 electrodes are too few. So I guess 16 should be even worse...But if I don't re-reference to the average, would that leads to other problem? Thanks!

Alan