[Eeglablist] Question about average reference

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 6 05:04:01 PST 2011

Hi Alan,

I assume you are using boisemi like system. What you can do is first include
a left mastoid electrode during recording (which is less likely to be
influenced by the cortical eeg component you are interested in) and then
when you import the file into eeglab choose this electrode as a reference.
Then in eeglab EEG.data take out all the other electrode rows (which you are
not using; pop_channel function I think). then you can re-reference anything
to anything else again.

I recently read a paper which might be useful to take a look.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16214404

Baris

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Alan Yi <jackm_ustc at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi experts,
>
> I am running a pilot experiment in which I only use 16 electrodes of a
> 64-channel cap. There is not any reference electrode on the cap, so I have
> to re-reference in EEGLAB. Should I just re-reference to the average of the
> 16 electrodes? Will this generate any problems on the result? After all, the
> 16 electrodes are mainly at the posterior of the head. And the paper that
> previously is suggested, Spherical Splines and Average Referencing in
> ScalpElectroencephalography, mentioned that 19 electrodes are too few. So I
> guess 16 should be even worse...But if I don't re-reference to the average,
> would that leads to other problem? Thanks!
>

> Alan

SB Demiral, PhD.
Department of Psychology
7 George Square