[Eeglablist] Re-Reference

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 16 03:55:10 PDT 2011

Dear Arno,

I understand the fact that eeglab pop_reref function is more elaborate than
the other scripts (and I know that this script is only a bit of the iceberg
that you work on in order to make the eeglab structure coherent). I have a
number of points to make (please correct me where ever I am wrong):

1- If we use other referencing scripts (pop_biosig etc), EEGLAB cannot
detect the reference chosen (and cannot write it to the interface dialog box
for instance.) Interestingly, if you use multiple references in the EEGLAB's
pop_reref function, eeglab still cannot show them and leaves the reference
information as "unknown". Only when you define a single electrode in
pop_reref, it registers it into the eeg structure. But, this is not a big
deal, we can live with that .

2- I assume that you developed the pop_reref script for a scenario where
researchers may also want to re-reference eeg data later in the process,
maybe after ICA decompositions are computed. I generally finish
re-referencing at the very beginning of the preprocessing steps so I do not
need that (I have not needed this yet but I may in future). See the comment
below:

3- I acknowledge the fact that ICA needs the locations of all the electrodes
to be fed for the ICA decomposition. Assume you used M1 and M2 for
(re-)referencing (before the ICA computation without defining their
location), and then take these electrodes (and other outer EOGs) out before
the ICA computations, this would be fine, would not it? ICA does not need
the reference electrode to be defined in this case.

4- I cannot understand why re-referencing would need to re-reference the ICA
matrix. ICA components should be independent of the references selected
(aren't they?) I am afraid this issue will take a very complicated phase in
the discussion...

Thanks,
Baris

--