[Eeglablist] How many dipoles to fit?

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sun Jun 5 09:31:25 PDT 2011

Dear Igor,

we fit 95%-99% of the components using a single equivalent dipole. We only fit 2 symmetrical dipoles for bilateral occipital alpha ICA components which are easily recognizable. Note that a large number of components cannot be fitted well with a single dipole (or 2 bilateral dipoles). These include artifactual components, or components that do not account for much of the data variance and reflect noise in the EEG data or in the ICA algorithm optimization procedure.

Best regards,

Arno