[Eeglablist] Saccades from EOG data

David Groppe dgroppe at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 28 11:33:38 PDT 2011

Hi Scott,
   The following paper might be of use to you:

Tracking eye fixations with electroocular and electroencephalographic recordings
Joyce CA, Gorodnitsky IF, King JW, Kutas M
Source: PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY    Volume: 39    Issue: 5    Pages: 607-618
 Published: SEP 2002

Abstract: We describe a method, based on recordings of the
electroencephalogram (EEG) and eye movement potentials
(electrooculogram), to track where on a screen (x,y coordinates) an
individual is fixating. The method makes use of an empirically derived
beam-forming filter (derived from a sequence of calibrated eye
movements) to isolate eye motion from other electrophysiological and
ambient electrical signals. Electrophysiological researchers may find
this method a simple and inexpensive means of tracking eye movements
and a useful complement to scalp recordings in studies of cognitive
phenomena. The resolution is comparable to that of many commercial
systems; the method can be implemented with as few as four electrodes
around the eyes to complement the EEG electrodes already in use. This
method may also find some specialized applications such as studying
eye movements during sleep and in human-machine interfaces that make
use of gaze information.

-D