[Eeglablist] Windows7 much faster than Ubuntu Linux

Dagfinn Matre Dagfinn.Matre at stami.no
Fri Aug 12 02:30:40 PDT 2011

Hi

I recently compared the speed of EEGLAB's runica algorithm under Windows and Linux. Somewhat to my surprise, it turned out that Windows spent only around 65 % of the time relative to Linux (e.g. 11 vs. 17 min). I tested three sets of 32 channel data that was collected on a BrainVision system. ICA was run from EEGLAB on the continuous data without any preprocessing.

I wonder whether others have similar experiences. I was about to install Linux on my main EEGLAB computer, but this test certainly left me wondering whether this is a smart thing to do.

These are my software and hardware specs:
Windows: 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, SP1
Linux: 64-bit Ubuntu Linux 11.04
Both installations were running EEGLAB v.10.2.3.4b under 64 bit Matlab R2011a

The computer (Intel i7 CPU, 3.07GHz, 12GB RAM) is native 64-bit Windows7. Ubuntu was installed using the Wubi Ubuntu installer for Windows, which allows you to boot in Windows or Ubuntu during startup.

Best regards,
Dagfinn

Dagfinn Matre, forsker/research scientist, PhD
Statens arbeidsmiljøinstitutt/National institute of occupational health
P.O. Box 8149 Dep (Gydas vei 8)
N-0033 Oslo, Norway
T: +47 2319 5215, M: +47 4723 6047, F: +47 2319 5204