[Eeglablist] ICs with identical topographies

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:33:41 PDT 2011

Dear Max, et al,

These two components are most likely slightly different-the thing to plot
would be the difference of the maps and of the activations (after reversing
the polarity/sign of one of the components-multiply the map and activation
by -1). The difference should not be exactly zero.

As Guillaume said, ICA can produce these "dependent subspaces" even if the
data is really full rank. These components will have mutual information with
each other, but should have close to 0 MI with other components.

Also, the time courses might be slightly time delayed, resulting in
instantaneous independence, but delayed dependence. A movie of the
backprojected sum of the maps might indicate a dynamic "wiggle" in the map
(potential distribution), which would result from the dynamic (non-static
spatial potential distribution) nature of the generating source.

Best,

Jason