[Eeglablist] Joint ICA in social interaction paradigm

muhammad naeem naeem6500 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 05:31:21 PST 2012

Hi EEGlablist,

In an EEG paradigm concerning two-person social interaction I am trying a
 joint ICA approach (e.g: Calhoun and colleagues-NeuroImage 45 (2009)
S163–S172 and computational Intelligence and Neuroscience
doi:10.1155/2011/129365 ). A similar approach has been used in other
studies (e.g Montague and colleagues- NeuroImage 16, 1159–1164
(2002)doi:10.1006/nimg.2002.1150). Essential difference between two is
the arrangement of Data. In the first, virtual channels have been
created (separate sphering process and PCA ) whereas in the second data of two subjects were concatenated
giving lesser (half  ) IC's to investigate. I am wondering which
approach is more appropriate and why?

A subsequent question is regarding data reduction- PCA is usually used
but as mentioned in the first references may not be suitable for the
activities which are not time/phase-locked(as the case with my data).
What are the other options?

Looking forward to your insight.

Best regards,

Naeem.