[Eeglablist] Joint ICA in social interaction paradigm

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 17:29:00 PST 2012

Hello Naeem,
Some quick thoughts...
These are very early days indeed for two-or more brain studies,
especially using EEG, although various groups are making inroads,
see recent work Dumas, from Tognoni, and from Babiloni's groups,
among others, all of which use diverse methods with EEG.
If you are using ICA, why not decompose
each person's data separately, without PCA,
and then analyze correlations
between similar ICs across the
two individuals, across particular
conditions. "Similar" ICs may be
determined via eeglab's study clustering function (which uses PCA)
or with the CORRMAP plugin.
Calhoun et al.'s EEGIFT with group-ICA
certainly looks like an interesting
option (attached).
Overall, the field is wide open for suggestions,
so if you come across some new solutions,
*please let the list know!*
An important point is whether
you use measures external to EEG
to assess some behavioral metric coordination.
Overall the issue is what you are hunting for.
See also Hasson and others' forays into
cross-correlation across brains.
I've included some brain based citation below which might be of use to you,
as well as some non-brain literature that bears directly on two-person or
more studies. good luck

*Anders et al., (2011). Flow of affective information between communicating
brains. NeuroImage 54, 439–446.*

Astolfi L, Toppi J, De Vico Fallani F, Vecchiato G, Salinari S, Mattia D,
Cincotti F, Babiloni F. (2010). Neuroelectrical Hyperscanning Measures
Simultaneous Brain Activity in Humans. Brain Topography, 23 (3),
243-256<http://www.springerlink.com/content/m7t53m267n3m5286/>,
2010.

Dumas G, Nadel J, Soussignan R, Martinerie J, Garnero L (2010) Inter-Brain
Synchronization during Social Interaction. PLoS ONE 5(8): e12166

*Schilbach* L, Wilms M, Eickhoff SB, Romanzetti S, Tepest R, Bente G, Shah
NJ, Fink GR, Vogeley K (2009) *Minds Made for Sharing*: *Initiating Joint
Attention Recruits Reward*-*related Neurocircuitry*. Journal of Cognitive
Neuroscience 0:*1-14*.

Schippers MB, Roebroeck A, Renken R, Nanetti L, Keysers C. (2010). "Mapping
the Information flow from one brain to another during gestural
communication". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 May 18;107(20):9388-93.

Stephens, J. G., Silbert, J. L. & Hasson, U. (2010). Speaker–listener
neural coupling underlies successful communication. PNAS, July 27.

Tognoli, E., J. Lagarde, et al. (2007). "The phi complex as a neuromarker
of human social coordination." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104(19): 8190-5.

Carletta, J., Hill, R. L., Nicol, C., Taylor, T., de Ruiter, J. P., & Bard,
E. G. (2010). Eye tracking for two-person tasks with manipulation of a
virtual world. Behavior Research Methods, 42, 254-265.

Wilms M, Schilbach L, Pfeiffer U, Bente G, Fink GR, Vogeley K: (2010). It´s
in your eyes. Using gaze-contingent stimuli to create truly interactive
paradigms for social cognitive and affective neuroscience. Social Cognitive
and Affective Neuroscience 5, 98-107

Kelso J.A.S, de Guzman G.C., Reveley C., Tognoli E. (2009) Virtual Partner
Interaction (VPI): Exploring Novel Behaviors via Coordination Dynamics.
PLoS ONE 4(6) e5749.

*Keysers C, Kaas J, Gazzola V. (2010). "Somatosensation in Social
Perception." Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2010 Jun;11(6):417-28. *

Knoblich, G., Butterfill, S., & Sebanz, N. (2011). Psychological research
on joint action: theory and data . In B. Ross (Ed.),The Psychology of
Learning and Motivation, 54 (pp. 59-101), Burlington: Academic Press.

Kokal I, Keysers C. Granger causality mapping during joint actions reveals
evidence for forward models that could overcome sensory-motor delays. PLoS
One. 2010 Oct 21;5(10):e13507.

Marsh, K. L., Johnston, L., Richardson, M. J., & Schmidt, R. C. (2009). Hop
off the mirror neuron bandwagon and join ours, it’s less crowded! European
Journal of Social Psychology, 39, 1234-1235.

Oullier, O., G. C. de Guzman, et al. (2007). "Social coordination dynamics:
Measuring human bonding." Social Neuroscience 99999(1): 1 – 15.

Perry, A., Stein, L., & Bentin, S. (2011). Motor and attentional mechanisms
involved in social interaction: Evidence from mu and alpha EEG suppression.
Neuroimage, 58, 895-904. DOI
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.06.060

Richardson, M. J., K. L. Marsh, et al. (2007). "Rocking together: dynamics
of intentional and unintentional interpersonal coordination." Hum Mov Sci
(6): 867-91.

Richardson, M. J., Marsh, K. L., & Schmidt, R. C. (2010). Challenging the
egocentric view of perceiving, acting, and knowing. In L. Feldman Barrett,
B. Mesquita, & E. Smith (Eds), The mind in context (pp. 307-333). New York:
Guilford Press.

Richardson, M. J., Marsh, K. L., Isenhower, R., Goodman, J., & Schmidt, R.
C. (2007). Rocking together: Dynamics of intentional and unintentional
interpersonal coordination. Human Movement Science, 26, 867-891.

Richardson, MJ., van der Wel, R.P.R.D., Knoblich, G., & Sebanz, N. (in
press). Let the force be with us: Dyads exploit haptic coupling for
coordination . Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and
Performance.