[Eeglablist] Spectrum with good frequency resolution for short time windows?

Christian Scharinger c.scharinger at gmx.net
Fri Mar 2 01:32:56 PST 2012

Hi there,

I want to calculate a spectrum  for a rather short time window (500 ms
or less). But nevertheless I want to have a good frequency resolution
(0.5 Hz or better).

My first idea was to concatenate several of this short time windows and
then run a FFT over the resulting larger time window. But I guess this
approach could be problematic?

My second idea was to use an AR-model instead of FFT to calculate the
spectral power. This works quite well. But the problem here is how to
(re-)integrate this AR-spectrum that I calculated "outside" eeglab later
in an eeglab study design.
Is there any possibility to replace the spectra that are calculated in
eeglab with AR-spectra?

Maybe someone has any suggestions or ideas for this problem or maybe a
completely different (better) solution?

Many thanks in advance,

Christian

--