[Eeglablist] EEG Statistical Analysis

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:04:04 PDT 2012

you seem to have not enough experience in this area, so there is too much
to say, and too much for you to learn,
you should do about 1 year of reading and training before moving forward.
However, here are some quick thoughts, hopefully they are useful to you.

although self-experimentation is a good thing in science, what you require
most
is a set of participants who are unbiased, instead of yourself, who
probably has too many biases.
But if you are just doing eeg for yourself, and not for scientific
publication,
it seems like you will have a good time with your self-experimentation!

if you record eeg without any particular event or stimulus ocurring across
many trials,
you can compare "trials" or "segments" of the eeg during one stimulus vs.
another stimulus.

If you do not have discrete stimuli, something basic you can do for
analyses is
to examine activity at different frequencies during different conditions.
For example, you would ask yourself, across your participants, and across
all your recordings,
is Alpha power stronger during the 30 degree times, vs. the 40 degree times.
You should generally record each condition for longer time periods than 1
minute, closer to 10 or 30 minutes.

For examples of analyses, you need to go to Google Scholar,
and search for some examples of previous articles
that have similar analyses. for example you can type "EEG frequencies" and
look
for recent research articles.

Because of your relatively low experience in this area, your best best
is to find an EEG expert in india or nearby, and take time for some
education from that person.
You should also read recent handbooks of EEG (see past eeglablist notes on
this basic topic).

Regarding testing angry/happy emotion, the question is not
whether or not you will find a difference (that is a scientific question)
but rather the question is "how exactly will you record angry/happy emotion
in a valid way".
You should also use google scholar to search for "happy angry eeg" to get
some idea of previous work in this area, before you take any more steps
forward.

Good luck!