[Eeglablist] How many epochs to average for the ERP

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:14:19 PDT 2012

Dear Imali,

> What is the usual practise used for the number of epochs to average to
get the ERP?

I would not discard a dataset just because it has 20 trials (after bad
epoch rejection) as long as it looks ok. So I would say minimum is 20-30
for your P300 task.

> If anyone can direct me to some papers or references on experimental
designs for ERP analysis that will be greatly appreciated.

T.W. PICTON, S. BENTIN, P. BERG, E. DONCHIN, S.A. HILLYARD, R. JOHNSON, JR.,
G.A. MILLER, W. RITTER, D.S. RUCHKIN, M.D. RUGG, M.J. TAYLOR. (2000).
Guidelines for using human event-related potentials to study cognition:
Recording tandards
and publication criteria. Psychophysiology. 37:127–152.

Makoto