[Eeglablist] Component statistics

paolo federico paolofed at univaq.it
Wed Aug 29 07:08:34 PDT 2012

Hello everybody,

I have some problem with the post-ICA analysis. I would detect all artifact
components and then remove them from my dataset (I am working with an
epoched dataset).
I am actually using the tool "Dat statistics --> Component statistics". I
have a question: Which is the threshold of kurtosis to keep in mind in
order to have an objective method to discriminate artifact components?
Basing on my knowledges, when kurtosis = 0 it means that the distribution
is normal, even if there is a tolerance window (-1/+1). Is it possible that
all components, even those quite-normal distribuited, have kuortosis values
higher than 3?

In addition, using Tools-->Rejecting data using ICA-->Reject data (all
methods)--->Find abnormal values why as default value there are +25/-25  µV
for, respectively, upper and lower limits? What does it means.

I'm sorry for all these question, but reading the EEGLAB wiki I did not
understand very much.

Best regards,

Paolo

--
Paolo Federico, PhD Candidate in Biotechnology
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L'Aquila
email: paolofed at univaq.it