[Eeglablist] ICA - low density, spatially restricted montages

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:39:07 PDT 2012

Yaseen - We do not have experience with 8-channel decomposition, but it
should be potentially helpful to some extent.  You might also explore using
multi-model decomposition using AMICA.

Scotty

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Yaseen Gerhold <
sunshineafterdusk at gmail.com> wrote:

> ICA-gurus
>
> I have a low density  montage, 8 channels over the frontal and prefrontal
> regions. I want to know if it is feasible to use ICA in this context for
> artifact correction, or is ICAs application limited to higher density
> montages?
>

>  RUNICA appears to resolve all the eye-blink data into one neat component
> on a trial run: One can see this in spatial (scalp maps), frequency
> (fractal dimension) and time domain. My concern is that with only 8
> components to resolve to, and limited spatial sampling (frontal region
> only), important the cortical data may also be resolved to the artifactual
> component.
>

> Can someone please share any experience they have in this context, or
> provide some theoretical guidance in terms of ICA performance under such
> conditions?
>
> Yaseen

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation; Prof. of
Neurosciences (Adj.), University of California San Diego, La Jolla CA
92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott