[Eeglablist] imported BrainVision data: finding the reference electrode

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:50:50 PDT 2012

Hi Ricardo,

May I ask what your reference was? In my experience using Brain Vision
data, the recording reference (in my case it was on the nose) was just not
included in the data that I imported to EEGLAB. This wasn't a problem for
me because I wasn't interested in analyzing that electrode anyway after I
re-referenced; but it might matter for you if your reference is something
that you care about as an active electrode, like Cz. You may be able to get
that channel back by using the "Add current reference channel back into the
data" command and specifying its location (but I haven't tried that myself
with BV).

Best,
Steve

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Ricardo Moura <ricardoojm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to the EEGLab. Now I am trying to analyze data that were recorded
> using the BrainVision recorder, but I never find the reference electrode.
> Going to "Channel Locations" only shows me the EEG electrodes. It is a
> problem for me because I want to re-reference the eeg signal to the
> linked-ears. The second reference electrode is always there (once it was
> recorded as a regular eeg electrode), but not the actual reference.
>
> I would appreciate any help,
> Best,
> Ricardo Moura

Stephen Politzer-Ahles