[Eeglablist] Eyes-open EEG stimulation via the ear canals (Gregory Perry)

Gregory Perry Gregory.Perry at govirtual.tv
Thu Oct 11 13:10:39 PDT 2012

Hello Michele,

The first revision prototype utilizes a three (3) light pipe assembly in each ear, which is optically isolated from the photic stimulation device and interfacing hardware (the LEDs are about 12" from the subject and not placed directly into the ears with this method).  I think that EMI interference with the EEG electrodes can be safely ruled out with this approach as the only thing touching the subject is the EEG acquisition hardware on the scalp and the light pipes inserted into the ears, but more testing is needed to validate that statement.

In addition, the light pipes used for the initial prototype have 1mm jackets and with only about 2mm of actual light pipe exposed in the ear canal, so I don't think that the EEG results are biased from any interaction with the visual cortex based on the light pipes being fully inserted into the ear canal and surrounded by an ear foam to prevent any light from leaking.  But again, more testing is needed to rule out those possibilities.