[Eeglablist] Eye blink counting

Tom Campbell tom_campbell75 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:38:47 PST 2012

 hi Jan, As a start, I'd calculate a bipolar VEOG channel by subtracting SO1 and IO1 data (or nose and Fpz; or SO2 and SO1) that you can find by selecting the appropriate channels from the structure continuous EEG.data after filtering. wthresh (for thresholding) and SplitVec (downloadable from MATLAB central, for parsing output thresholds into groups) are handy functions as are size and length (for counting), together with figure and plot (for plotting VEOG and thresholds to assessing how well your algorithm detects blinks). VEOG amplitude threshold and the criterion minimum number of consecutive samples to reach threshold is likely best hand-tuned (individually) to prevent false alarms and misses, requiring manual inspection of the adequacy of the thresholded values, though when you are happy with this, counting can be automated. Blinks are biphasic, which is something to think about in your thresholding and parsing. You may decide to include other safeguards that the identified VEOG is not due to upward eye movements (not easy) or horizontal eye movements as assessed by HEOG (LO1 and LO2 difference; e.g. threshold only blink samples where the SO1-IO1 difference is greater than the LO1-LO2 difference) but rather due to blinks.  There is also a blink detection function in the ERPLAB plugin:http://erpinfo.org/erplab/erplab-documentation/documentation-archive-for-previous-versions/v1.x-documentation/erplab-manual/Artifact_Detection.htm T.