[Eeglablist] CSD maps in STUDY design

Craig E. Tenke cet2103 at columbia.edu
Sat Jan 19 17:39:01 PST 2013

Dear Arno:

Your advice to Marco on how to use CSD with spectral data is incorrect.
The Laplacian /must/ precede the spectral computation. If the the
spectral transformation is done first, the result is /not /an
interpretable CSD. The implications of this error can be quite profound
(cf. Fig. 1 of Tenke and Kayser, 2005). As a general rule, a CSD
transform can only be applied to linearly-transformed surface potential
data to be physiologically meaningful, although the underlying algorithm
can be applied to any data, as shown by your example.

regards from NY,

Craig Tenke
Jürgen Kayser