[Eeglablist] Standardize electrodes montage for group analysis

Chadwick Boulay boulay at bme.bio.keio.ac.jp
Tue Feb 19 18:36:14 PST 2013

I think the assumption is that if brain A is 10% larger than brain B
then the cortical region normally associated with C3 is 10% further from
the midline in brain A than it is in brain B. Thus, if you are using
differently-sized caps (with different electrode spacing) for
differently-sized heads then you may assume that C3 from subject A
represents approximately the same patch of brain as C3 from subject B.
The precise coordinates of C3 don't matter.

Of course the above assumption is false not only because the head shapes
vary but also because the relative skull conductance and brain
curvatures vary. While having super-accurate coordinates might help
overcome the problem of head shape, it won't help with the other
problems. If you have anatomical MR images for each subject and you are
able to coregister your electrode positions with the MRI then you may be
able to use ICA+NFT+DIPFIT to identify subject-specific neurobiological
'sources'. You may then use some component-clustering algorithm to
figure out which component from each subject represents a particular
patch of brain then do your between subject/group comparisons on those
components' activations. (Notice that I skipped over the
skull-conductance problem.)

If you need to identify precise (not necessarily accurate) brain regions
associated with your task then the above method might be for you.
However, if you REALLY need to identify brain sources accurately then
you might be better off going with fMRI or EEG-fMRI if time-resolution
is important.

If you don't need to report specific brain regions then I'd just stick
with averaging across electrodes with the same name.