[Eeglablist] bad channel rejection - kurtosis - threshold limits default 5

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 22 14:07:38 PST 2013

Dear Ida,

After ICA, always use 'Reject components by map' to check IC status. This
is most convenient for that purpose since it shows topo, ERPimage, ERP, and
spectra, which tells you everything about the component. By doing so you
learn which one is good and which one bad.

However, this does not mean that you have to know which one is good and
which one is bad, because they will be automatically kicked out from the
final data by following processes

1. Thresholding using residual variance in dipole fitting- usually any ICs
that have larger than 15% r.v. are recommended to be rejected.
2. Excluding outside brain dipoles.

These IC selections take place altogether when you create STUDY, and
usually they reject around 60-70% of ICs. EOGs and temporal EMGs may still
pass these criteria but they will be clustered as such safely separated
from other EEG clusters.

So, don't worry about IC selection. What we should do is try our best to
obtain as good ICA decomposition as possible by performing epoch rejection.

I hope my guess worked this time.

Makoto