[Eeglablist] Multiple sessions - same condition - per subject

Chadwick Boulay boulay at bme.bio.keio.ac.jp
Mon Mar 4 01:42:54 PST 2013

Dear all,

I'm sorry to send two messages on the same day. I have a question
related to the IC clustering discussion.

How do I perform a between-subjects statistical analysis on independent
components from data that are obtained over multiple sessions within a
subject? This was a BCI study and each session was a near-identical
replication of the previous (i.e. same 'condition' in each session).
This was a P300 study so I do not expect there to be much of a learning
effect and I do not expect the P300 'source' to change across sessions.

I tried pretending all data came from the same session then running ICA
on the concatenated data and I ended up with 5 ICs for eye blinks (5
sessions) with each of those ICs representing mostly a subset of trials
from a single session.

I can treat each subject*session as an independent subject so I have 62
subjects (13ss * 5 sess - 3 noisy sessions) instead of 13. I think this
is wrong because it gives me too much statistical power and some
subjects are underrepresented.

I can choose a set of ICs from one session then recalculate activations
and concatenate trials, but which session do I use?

Finally, I can cluster ICs within-subject in a manner similar to the
2012 EMBC IEEE Conf Proc by Grandchamp et al
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23367475). Then, I could manually
reorder the ica weights so that each session's ICs are ordered according
to their cluster-membership then recalculate activations. I could then
concatenate activations across sessions into a super-session. Could I
then use the average weights and dipole centroid for the super-component?
Can someone please share with me the modified clustering code to
constrain the clusters to only include one component per session?

Thank you,

Chadwick Boulay
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow
Keio University