[Eeglablist] phase shift and ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 3 18:36:51 PDT 2013

Dear Dr. Gonzales,

I suppose you mean you compare phases between channels and ICs. It's not
shift that makes difference between scalp channel ICs and EEGs. Let me
explain what it is. Let's say we have only 2 channels and 2 ICs. The
relation of scalp channel EEG and ICs are like this:

Channel 1 = 0.3 X IC1 + 0.7 X IC2
Channel 2 = 0.7 x  IC1 + 0.3 x IC2

Here I determined 0.3 and 0.7 arbitrarily but actually these are determined
by ICA. Anyway, when you compare Channel 1 with IC1 in the above example,
they are dissimilar to each other NOT because of phase shift (unless IC1
and IC2 are similar, which is hard to imagine since they are supposed to be
temporally independent).

If the decomposition is like

Channel 1 = 0.99999 X IC1 + 0.00001 X IC2
Channel 2 = 0.00001 x  IC1 + 0.99999 x IC2

Then your Channel 1 and IC1 should be very similar.

Makoto