[Eeglablist] phase shift and ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 5 09:47:17 PDT 2013

Dear Baris,

I give you the simple answer.
Let's say IC1 and IC2 have regular oscillation like this

IC1 010101010101010101
IC2 001001001001001001

And if your channels are

Ch1 = 0.5xIC1 + 0.5xIC2

Before you discard any IC, your Ch1 should be

Ch1 011011011011011011

If you discard IC1,

Ch1 = 0xIC1 + 0.5xIC2

so your Ch1 will be

Ch1 001001001001001001

that is exactly same as IC2 in terms of phase.

This is exactly what happens to the phase.

Makoto