[Eeglablist] coherence measures

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 01:27:14 PDT 2013

Hi Rob,

Yes, as Arno mentioned, a major upgrade is forthcoming soon. Work on new
public releases of SIFT had to be postponed for a while, but has now
resumed.

In the introduction of the SIFT manual (
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_2._Introduction) is a list of other
toolboxes for (granger-causal) connectivity analysis which you might be
interested in exploring. Since this list was compiled (2010), there has
also been released the Neurophysiological Biomarkers Toolbox (
http://www.nbtwiki.net/) which offers some connectivity analysis options
(although I personally have no experience using the toolbox). If you are
interested in a model-free (and non-linear) approach to effective
connectivity, I recommend TRENTOOL (http://www.trentool.de/) for Transfer
Entropy analysis. Of course there is also Dynamic Causal Modeling
implemented in SPM.

However, as Arno mentioned, SIFT (even the alpha version) does implement
many of the multivariate connectivity measures currently in use in the
neuroscience community -- at least those that can be derived from an
autoregressive representation (e.g. various flavors of coherence and
granger-causality). A partial list of these measures is available here:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_4.3._A_partial_list_of_VAR-based_spectral,_coherence_and_GC_estimators
.

There are many, many other functional and effective connectivity methods
out there (and as many review papers summarizing them). The central
question is always whether the prior assumptions inherent in any modeling
approach are suitable for the data you are modeling and the particular
inferences you hope to make (e.g. correlation vs. causality, linear vs.
non-linear interactions, time-varying vs. stationary network analysis,
time-domain or frequency-domain analysis, ...).

Tim