[Eeglablist] ERSP using baseline from a different condition

Nikola Vukovic vukovicnikola at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:51:46 PDT 2013

Dear EEGlab community,

I am a beginner EEGlab user, and have a problem which was brought up a
couple of times before on the list, but for which I wasn't able to find a
clear solution.

I'm working with a STUDY design, which contains datasets decomposed using
ICA, and their various components already clustered. I would like to find a
way to calculate ERSPs for a cluster where the baseline for my experimental
conditions of interest is taken from a separate condition (the "reference"
condition).

So far, looking at the mailing list archives, I've been able to gather that
one can use the powbase variable to specify a baseline derived from some
other condition. However, all the posts I found also report issues with
being unable to get the format of the powbase matrix right, or otherwise
getting Matlab errors with their customized script.

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can provide hints or scripts
which would help me solve this issue. Saying that I'm inexperienced with
eeglab coding would probably be the understatement of the year, but I am
willing to follow any leads as to how to proceed. I presume there must be a
way to calculate ERSP for a component cluster, selecting only my reference
condition in the Study design, and then from this somehow extract the
baseline values which could be used for calculating ERSP in other
conditions?

Best wishes,
Nikola