[Eeglablist] Data Collection - Average Reference

Lakshmanan, Balaji lakshmanan at kennedykrieger.org
Mon May 13 10:53:54 PDT 2013

Dear EEGLAB users,

We collect data using ANT EEG system which by default uses average reference during data collection.
We've been collecting this way for very long and analyze our data using the same. Sometimes we do change the reference offline to compare our results with various reference options.
Recently we were told by one of the researchers that it is not correct to change the reference (for e.g. to linked ears), if the data was originally recorded using average ref. However looks like vice-versa is possible.

I always thought re referencing offline is never an issue no matter what your recording montage/reference is. Any explanation/thoughts on this issue is appreciated.

Also, I would like to know what ref. ANT users generally use to record EEGs and for their analyses?

Thanks,
Balaji

Disclaimer:
The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Health Information. Please note that e-mail is not necessarily confidential or secure. Your use of e-mail constitutes your acknowledgment of these confidentiality and security limitations. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return e-mail.