[Eeglablist] relation between EEG data and other signal, average ref question

Pål Gunnar Larsson pall at ous-hf.no
Tue Jun 18 03:40:48 PDT 2013

1. The relation between an event and EEG may be very complex. Breathing must be very complex. First there will be factors influencing (starting/doing) the activity of breathing. It may sometimes have a clear cortical relation, but usually more subcortical/spinal. Then of course the breathing produces muscle and movement artefacts. Then the slight changes in pO2 will change the EEG. So you have coherent activity before, at the same time and after the breathing. Any of these may have a variable response in the EEG both in time and between patients.

2. Differential amplifiers have both GND and REF. REF is directly part of your EEG-signal and is the one to care about. In a REF-montage a channel shows the voltage difference between the active electrode and REF. The average is as the name says the average of all (most) channels: avg=sum(chani-ref)/(number of channels). This may be written: sum(chani)/(number of channels)-ref. So rereference to avg would be: (chan-ref)- (avg-ref) -> chan -avg. The ref is not in the montage any more.

Pål

Denne meldingen inneholder ikke sensitiv informasjon som bryter med Rikshospitalets krav til informasjonssikkerhet.
(In compliance with the Security Policy of Rikshospitalet , the content of this message (including any attachments) is of a non-sensitive nature)