[Eeglablist] How to access non-parametric statistics (cluster method Oostenveld and Maris)

Felix Ball Felix.Ball at hu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 19 03:15:46 PDT 2013

Dear list,

Thank you in advance for your help. I currently try to use the STUDY
function and especially the non-parametric test (Maris and Oostenveld
cluster statistic). I have an experiment with two conditions and n
subjects. What I want to know is at which time points and at which
electrodes the two conditions differ from each other. The difference
between conditions is investigated on the grand average level.
I read about a method introduced by Maris and Oostenveld and it seems to
be perfect for my needs and it is already implemented in EEGLab. What I
get with EEGLab (see matlab code) is a plot (see figure C1vsC2) with
different time intervals marked in grey for each electrode. These grey
shaded areas are, as far as I understood, significant differences
between conditions. Furthermore, they are in a time range where I
expected to find a significant difference between conditions. Now I have
2 questions:

1) I want to access the statistics that are the basis of this plot. Does
someone know where I can find them or do I have bugs in my code,
preventing me from accessing the stats variables? I was not able to find
any variable in my workspace resembling the results shown in figure
C1vsC2.

2) The result I expected (after reading the Maris and Oostenveld paper),
slightly differs from the result I receive. I expected only one cluster
of neighbor electrodes and one continuous time interval to be shaded in
grey in the plot. This cluster- time interval combination would be the
maximum effect between conditions. However, looking at figure C1vsC2, I
see that neighbor electrodes have a grey shaded areas, but these areas
are not necessarily continuous and are not equal for all electrodes. If
I just look at one electrode, e.g. FC3 (see appendix), I see that the
time range is sometimes interrupted. How do I know when conditions start
and stop to be significantly different, if there is not only one time
interval of significant difference? I need to know the time range
because I want to pick the mean amplitude (in the time range) for a
regression analysis.

Thank you for your help and kind regards. felix