[Eeglablist] Creating new events

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 13:11:16 PDT 2013

Hi Arti,

I believe there have been some recent discussions on the list about similar
topics, so you may be able to find some examples. The most common
suggestion I have seen is to use ERPLAB (a plugin for EEGLAB), which has
many options for binning conditions in ways like this. The EEGLAB base
distribution may also have ways of doing this, but I can't remember off the
top of my head.

If you're familiar with basic MATLAB coding you can also do this by hand.
For each event i in your data, the trigger is stored in EEG.event(i).type,
or some similar location in the data structure. So basically all you need
is to loop through the data and apply some sort of conditional like the
following:

if EEG.event(i-1).type == 32
    EEG.event(i).type = 320 + EEG.event(i).type;  % assuming your event
types are numeric, this would turn 1 preceded by 32 into 321
end;

Then you have an event type called "321" and can use that to select epochs
of interest.

Best,
Steve

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Arti Abhishek <arti.abhishek1982 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have the EEG data recorded from the 128 channel EGI system for an
auditory experiment. The data contains triggers for the 4 conditions
(trigger numbers 1,2,3,4) as well as a trigger from the AV tester (trigger
32). I would like to epoch based on the AV tester trigger. Is there a way
to create new events from the existing events (eg: if the trigger 32 is
preceded by trigger 1 then the condition is 1 etc..)

eeglablist-request at sccn.ucsd.edu

--
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Kansas