[Eeglablist] SIFT model order, how much data?

Chadwick Boulay boulay at brain.bio.keio.ac.jp
Wed Sep 4 04:27:21 PDT 2013

Dear list,
CC Tim Mullen.

In the SIFT tutorial, I noticed that optimization of the information
criteria identifies different optimal model orders for the RespWrong and
RespCorr conditions but a single (more conservative) model order is used
for both conditions. Was this just a coincidence that the conservative
order was the same for both conditions? Or, if it is better to use a
single model order, shouldn't we merge the two conditions when
calculating the optimal model order? However, my impression from the
provided example scripts
(eeglab\plugins\SIFT\scripts\ScriptingExample_1_0b.m) is that they use a
different model order for each condition.

So, of the following 3 options, which is least wrong?
(1) Combine all (within subject*session) data when calculating the
optimal model order and use that single order for all subsequent model
fitting (per condition or per trial).
(2, tutorial method) Calculate the optimal model order independently for
each data unit (condition or single trial) that will be fit, but somehow
extract from this array of model orders a single model order to be used
for all subsequent model fitting.
(3, example script method) Calculate the optimal model order
independently for each unit and use each unit's optimal model order for
subsequent model fitting.

Thank you for any advice,
Chad

--