[Eeglablist] Problem running ICA: rank of data lower than the number of input data channels

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:02:00 PDT 2013

Dear Caro,

> I should mention that we had to reconstruct two channels before the
analysis due to equipment problems. Could that account for part of the
problem?

Yes that's it.

> I must also insist on the fact that even when chennels were reconstructed
for other subjects, I son-t always get the message.

Because it also depends on data quality. From my experience I would expect
that if you have a lot of EMGs you would see that message more often.

> A second question I have is, should I edit the rank to 30 or should I
just run it with 28 components? how would that affect my data?

Just run it with 28 components. Using PCA should be fine after channel
interpolation, but why don't you go simple if you can.

I have seen and experienced rank issues. I would avoid it whenever I can.
Try matlab function rank on your fully processed data. It often returns
much less number than your number of channels.

Makoto