[Eeglablist] Three EEGLAB questions

robert coben drcoben at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:21:33 PDT 2013

Fred and Arnaud,

Having worked with coherence and more recently sloreta coherence and SIFT, I will provide some feedback. Coherence as a measure of "connectivity" between pairs is extremely flawed. I would agree with Arnaud is recommending SIFT and granger causality. The information is much richer and more closely resembles structural connectivity metrics.

Rob

On Sep 27, 2013, at 5:38 PM, Fred Travis <ftravis at mum.edu> wrote:

> Hi Arnaud
>
> By synchrony I mean in phase EEG.  Coherence us a general case-stability of phase relation--and synchrony is a specific case--stability of phase relation and in phase
>
> Fred
> On 9/27/2013 2:54 PM, Arnaud Delorme wrote:
>> Hi Fred,
>>
>> what do you mean by synchrony?
>> To caclulate some of additional connectivity measures, you might want to try SIFT, an EEGLAB associated toolbox and plugin. It will allow you to compute Granger Causality based measures such as partial directed coherence.  It will also allow you to compute many other measures including the popular directed transfer entropy.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Arno
>>

>>> 1. synchrony (rather than coherence)
>>> 2. cross frequency coherence--coherence between frequency bands (Palva and Palva)