[Eeglablist] ICA runs slowly and returns complex numbers

Ilana Podlipsky ilana.mlist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 23:54:40 PST 2013

Hi All,

Since I've recently changed my computer ICA in eeglab runs very very slowly
and returns complex numbers.
On my previous computer, on the same data I ran the same ICA  within an
hour or two. On the new computer the same ICA takes more than 24 hours,
After 512 steps it returns this message :

Sorting components in descending order of mean projected variance ...
Warning: Matrix is close to singular or badly scaled.
         Results may be inaccurate. RCOND = 6.956943e-019.

When I try to plot the ICA activations I don't see any traces and when I
look into the EEG.icaact matrix I see only complex numbers. Tried both
runica and binica.
This has never happen to me with the old computer on the same dataset.
Both the old and new computer run Win7 64bit, matlab 2008a and eeglab 12.
The hardware of the computers is different.

What could be the reason for this, and what can ?I do to solve this?

Thanks for the help,
Ilana