[Eeglablist] import BDF into EEGLab

Andrew Hill andrewhill at ucla.edu
Thu Nov 14 14:20:37 PST 2013

Hi Alberto,

Yes, you need to reference to (any) channel on import, as the BDF file has a DC offset with a huge range, and without a reference this gets dramatically truncated (you lose relative sensitivity).  I typically import with a reference of Pz (near the REF-CMS/DRL locations) and then reference to linked ears or average after import (and after I identify and replace any problematic channels).

I do think an BDF->EDF conversion / export is a good idea before importing into EEGLab..  this is how I approach ERP studies with BDF files - using the "Converter" supplied by BioSemi, with default settings (e.g. the high pass filter at 0.13 Hz is sufficient to remove the DC offset).  You could also just try filtering at 0.5 Hz after import, or try removing the average of each epoch after epoching.. using something like EEG.data = detrend(EEG.data) or EEG.data=EEG.data-repmat(mean(EEG.data,2),[1 EEG.pnts 1])

If you aren't doing ERP studies, but instead working with continuous EEG, you can probably get away with hipassing at 1Hz or higher on the imported BDF file directly.  The ERPs are "smeared" (in time) when you high-pass too "high", but ICA shouldn't be as affected.

Best,
Andrew