[Eeglablist] An issue with preprocessing procedure

Mikołaj Magnuski imponderabilion at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 02:01:39 PST 2013

Dear Selina,

I wouldn't worry too much about baseline correction. Many frequency
analysis functions perform some detrending of the data before analysis -
usually just the mean correction (setting mean to zero by subtracting it
from all samples) - for _each_ analysis window (where a single point in
your ERS/ERD corresponds to one analysis window). I'm not sure if this is
the case with the functions/pipeline that you are using, but generally -
baseline correction shouldn't be a problem so you can perform it just as
before.

The only difference between ERP and time-frequency analysis that may be
relevant to you is the choice of a relevant baseline window - namely its
length. For example if you are using 3-cycle wavelets at your lowest
frequency and your lowest frequency of interest is 4 Hz then you need a
baseline of at least 1/4 * 3 = 0.75 seconds long. This is considerably
longer than what is used in many ERP studies, so be sure that your
experimental procedure allows for a meaningful baseline of at least [one
cycle of your lowest frequency of interest in seconds] * [number of wavelet
cycles that you estimate this frequency with]. If your baseline is shorter
than this you may not be able to calculate ERSP for the lowest frequency
correctly.