[Eeglablist] Decay in frequency contents when ICA is applied

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed May 21 19:18:06 PDT 2014

Dear Haj,

> The mean peak amplitude of the ICs is dramatically lower than channels!
(there was no IC rejection).

This is not the right way to make the comparison between IC and channel
activities.
In channels, alpha is represented redundantly, while in the independent
component space it is represented maximally independently from any other
activities.

You may want use 'pvaftopo' plugin to see how scalp channel signals are
explained by ICs in the sense of variance. In the bast case, 60-80% of
variance of a single channel can be explained by a single IC (if the source
and the channel are located closely, and the task used efficiently activate
the source all the time...) If you do this process with band-pass filter at
alpha range, you can obtain the measure of how much alpha at channels are
contributed by an IC.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Plugin_list_process