[Eeglablist] Power Spectrum vs. Power Spectral Density

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 4 02:33:54 PDT 2014

Hi Brian, hi Makoto,

as far as I know, and notwithstanding any considerations regarding a
particular software implementation, the PS yields the power of a
discrete, predefined set of frequencies interpretable as individual
values. In contrast, similar to the probability density of the
(standard) normal distribution, the PSD is a density function the
(partial) area under which can be interpreted in terms of power. The
transformation '10*log10' rescales to dB not affecting the units (i.e.
unit^2 and unit^2/Hz, respectively).

Therefore, the choice between PS and PSD depends on the question you
want to answer. In EEG matters you are typically interested in the power
of continuous frequency bands and therefore should consider the PSD (and
determine the area within certain limits of interest).

Ole