[Eeglablist] Power Spectrum vs. Power Spectral Density

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 10 00:28:19 PDT 2014

HI all,

I forward a short discussion on this topic to the list showing that
things always are more complicated.

Best,
Ole

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	RE: [Eeglablist] Power Spectrum vs. Power Spectral Density
Datum: 	Thu, 5 Jun 2014 13:06:31 -0400 (EDT)
Von: 	MICHAEL JOSEPH PIOVOSO <mjp5 at psu.edu>
An: 	Ole Traupe <ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de>

What you say is correct.  The FFT gives what should be called the Energy
Density (Not power density).   The units on the FFT are as you say for
power density.   Common usage refers to it as a power density and also
as a power spectral density. But power spectral density is incorrect.
It is in fact an energy density not a power density.  The units are
those of energy not power.

Michael J. Piovoso, Ph.D., P.E.

Professor of Electrical Engineering

Penn State University School of Graduate Professional Studies

30 E. Swedesford Road

Malvern, PA 19355

610-648-3356