[Eeglablist] re-reference to average from Cz

Jerry Zhu jerryzhu at siu.edu
Mon Jun 16 16:59:09 PDT 2014

Hi all,
My 128-channel data use Cz as the reference channel during collection. I
wanna re-reference to average. Should I include Cz when computing average?

If not, I simply click "Tools | Re-reference | Computer average", leaving
other boxes empty. After that I got a file with 128 channels.

If yes, I declare Cz as the reference through the GUI "Edit | Channel
location | Set reference". Then in "Tools | Re-reference | Computer
average" I also "add current reference channel back to data". After that I
got a file with 129 channels (including the Cz).
(a side-note, I also found that I can skip the step of declaring Cz as
reference and directly add Cz back to data in "Tools | Re-reference |
Computer average". So is setting a reference channel necessary to begin
with?)

Which way is "correct" or "preferred"?
--
Jian Zhu, M.A.
Brain and Cognitive Sciences

We have two halves in the brain: left and right. Nothing is right in the
left. Nothing is left in the right.