[Eeglablist] Two ICA decompositions from one dataset- based on stage of working memory

Iman M.Rezazadeh irezazadeh at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 27 22:24:39 PDT 2014

Here is what I can think as an analogy :

Suppose we have 10 guys and they all talked together in English (from time T1 to T2) and German (from T2 to T3) and we picked their voices by 10 microphones . So if we apply ICA then we will have 10 independent components (voices) ; Ideally, each of the components is from one guy voice from T1 to T3. But ICA is not helpful to distinguish/separate the English and German parts of the conversation from each other.

So here is my thought: if you are interested to study within subject(group) conditions- in the example above the difference btw English and German-  it would be useful to use ICA separately on different conditions.

Best

Iman

Iman M.Rezazadeh, Ph.D. , M.Sc., B.Sc.

Research Associate II

UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine

Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior

760 Westwood Plaza, Ste 47-448

Los Angeles, CA  90095

 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/iman-m-rezazadeh/10/859/840/> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/iman-m-rezazadeh/10/859/840/