[Eeglablist] Help with baseline

Stephen Politzer-Ahles spa268 at nyu.edu
Wed Jul 30 23:03:31 PDT 2014

Hello Shayra,

In reading experiments with serial visual presentation, usually a pause is
included between words to provide a "clean" baseline. If you don't have
that pause, you could consider what is often done with auditorily-presented
sentence stimuli, which is using a short post-stimulus baseline (e.g. 0-100
ms).

The best baseline also depends on what kind of preprocessing you are going
to do. For example, there's evidence that a whole-epoch baseline is the
best baseline for running ICA (David Groppe has a recent paper on this).

Best,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
New York University, Abu Dhabi