[Eeglablist] Research fellow position in Electrophysiology and Neuroimaging

Eishi Asano eishi at pet.wayne.edu
Wed Aug 20 10:57:09 PDT 2014

Dear All, I am recruiting a research fellow to join our laboratory in
Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University. We currently
perform research projects to determine the long-term language outcome
following brain surgery, and to determine how human brain works during
speech. The funding has been approved by NIH, with a score of top 1.0
percentile, for five years (see the summary below). We have 192-channel EEG
Machines, Direct Cortical Stimulator, Eye Tracking System, 3T MRI, and PET.
An applicant interested in working on our projects can email me with your
CV. Email address is: eishi{at}pet.wayne.edu [Change {at} to @]. Thank you
very much, Eishi

SUMMARY: The goals of this project are: (i) to generate an empirical model
to predict the long-term language outcome following epilepsy surgery and
(ii) to better understand ‘how’ the language system works during speech.
About 1% of the general population has epilepsy, while one-fifth of epilepsy
is medically intractable. Subsets of patients with intractable focal
epilepsy benefit from surgical resection of the seizure focus with
functionally-important areas preserved. Yet, in reality, accurate
identification of language areas is difficult, especially in children, since
electrical stimulation mapping lacks sufficient sensitivity, often takes
hours to complete, and has a risk of stimulation-induced seizures. In the
first funding period, we demonstrated that naming-related augmentation of
gamma activity (50-120 Hz) on electrocorticography (ECoG) recording can
delineate the language circuitry, and that surgical damage of sites showing
such gamma-augmentation predicted the acute postoperative language outcome
better than electrical stimulation mapping. An important next step is to
determine how well the long-term language outcome can be predicted, since
some but not all children recover language function well after the resection
of language networks. To maximize the predictive performance, we will
determine the language cortex and subcortical pathway, while combining ECoG
gamma mapping with diffusion weighted imaging (DWI) fiber tractography.
Furthermore, the prediction model will take into account the chronic effect
of functional recovery in addition to the acute effect of damaged language
networks on neuropsychological outcome measures. This project is significant
since the results will be directly translatable into patient management, and
our innovative multimodality technique has the potential to become a
mainstream method to localize functionally-important brain structures.
   We will also determine the anatomical and functional connectivity within
the language networks, using ECoG gamma mapping, DWI tractography and
cortico-cortical evoked potentials (CCEPs). Theoretical models of human
speech propose that phonologic and semantic information is transferred, via
the arcuate fasciculus, between the temporal and frontal language areas.
Yet, the exact location of each arcuate pathway for phonologic and semantic
information has not been elucidated. Furthermore, directional efficiency of
signal transferring in each pathway has not been clarified, although a
modern theoretical model indicates the presence of bi-directional signal
transferring between the frontal and temporal lobes. In this project, we
will specifically determine if these sites involved in phonological and
semantic functions are differentially connected via distinct arcuate
fasciculus fibers. We will also determine ‘in which direction’ electrical
signals propagate more efficiently within and across the two lobes involved
in language. The model refined or revised by this empirical study will help
in prediction of specific language symptoms following focal brain damage,
and ultimately may better localize the therapeutic targets for improving
different types of language impairments in neurological diseases.

Eishi Asano, MD, PhD, MS (CRDSA)
Associate Professor, Pediatrics & Neurology, Wayne State University
Director, Neurodiagnostics, Children's Hospital of Michigan
3901 Beaubien Street, Detroit, Michigan, 48201, USA.
Phone: +1-313-745-5547; FAX: +1-313-745-0955; E-mail: eishi{at}pet.wayne.edu
[Change {at} to @]
This message (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and is
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the
message (including any attachments) and notify the originator that you
received the message in error. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited.