[Eeglablist] re-referencing

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 7 13:34:24 PDT 2014

Dear Nicholas,

If you care this issue, I recommend you think it in this way: choosing a
channel and/or reference electrode to study e.g. frontal lobe activity *is
to use a spatial filter*. The problem of this (default) spatial filter is
volume conductance and scalp mixing, and it is clear that you can never
address these issues even if you re-reference to other channels. This is
why we use ICA as it provides the more reasonable spatial filter.

Makoto