[Eeglablist] question about shieldroom specifications

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:09:40 PDT 2014

Dear Archana,

EEG signal range is 1-500Hz. Not even kiloHertz. Because of this, any
shield room is fine (i.e. does not work anyway).

The most problematic environmental artifact is 50/60Hz line noise. This is
hard to shield because of low frequency. I heard that you need a type of
magnetic shield instead of ordinary copper ones to shut it off.

I've seen labs that is not shielded. Their data tend to have higher 50/60Hz
line noise, but we can low-pass the data below that. Our Mobilab does not
have a shield either.

> I would like to know what does the cutoff in Hz represent.

The noise level is guaranteed to be attenuated to the specified levels.

Makoto