[Eeglablist] Data Processing Steps for ICA?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:09:39 PDT 2014

Dear Paul,

I made this page for you.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Preprocess_pipeline

> 1. When to perform base-line correction:
It seems most people suggest not to do it before ICA training based on
Groppe's 'split-half' paper:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2010/003080.html
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2014/008854.html
But there are some counterarguments:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2012/005513.html
So I guess it's still better to do it after ICA?

Yes, do it after ICA.

> 2. When and how to perform re-referencing:
It seems I should re-reference to average before ICA, but there seems to be
some counterarguments, too:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2014/008309.html
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2014/008854.html
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2003/000090.html

Just re-reference to the average reference. Don't forget to reject one
channel after this.

> I'm not pretty sure whether to include EOG channels either, as there
seems to be pros and cons:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2014/008854.html
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2007/001801.html

Do include EOG channels for ICA. I made a wrong answer last time.

Makoto