[Eeglablist] ica cleaning: removing epochs or components?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Sun Nov 16 13:49:17 PST 2014

Dear Jenny,

Sorry for slow response.

> But that seems like a "waste" to me since I would have to take out epochs
that are actually fine but where just one electrode is out of range.

I agree with you. If there are apparent artifacts, and you don't mind
manually removing them (when you have you have < 20-30 datasets) go ahead
remove them before first ICA.

> So I was wondering whether it would actually make sense to generously
remove all components that are associated with one crazy electrode at one
time point, and then run the ica again instead of deleting the whole epoch.

We take ICA-decomposed brain EEG as ground truth, so we don't bother to
clean the 'back-projected' scalp channel EEG signals. If you follow the
EEGLAB STUDY steps, those single-channel ICs will be cleaned automatically.
Check the whole preprocess pipeline, starting from the data import to the
group-level analysis, in the following link. You'll notice that how
creating STUDY can take care of most of artifacts.

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline

I also recommend you check clean_rawdata plugin.

Makoto